During the COVID-19 update on Thursday, April 1, 2021, both Premier Kenny and Dr. Deena Hinshaw pleaded with Albertans to follow all the health protocols in place heading into the Easter long weekend.
"As we head into the long weekend with numbers on the rise again, I want to join the Premier in his call for all Albertans to make safe choices. In fact, please make the safest choice you can this weekend, in everything you do. Do not gather with people outside your household indoors, and strictly abide by the restrictions and public health measures in place. This last year has shown us that only by working together can we slow the transmission of this virus, and that is what we need to do again."
The province saw a sharp rise in active cases again with the numbers as follows.
- There were 875 news cases reported with a positivity rate of 7.38%.
- There are now 8,643 active cases in the province.
- There were 322 new cases of variants of concern reported which account for 33% of all active cases.
- There are 292 people in the hospital, a drop of nine since last reported.
- There are 59 people in ICU four less than last reported.
- Four deaths have been reported bringing the total in the province to 1,994.
- To date, 652,490 doses of vaccine have been administered.
- Rocky View County added nine new cases for a total of 110.
- Cochrane reported five new cases for a total of 47.