Alberta Parks is reporting a cougar encounter on a popular trail in Kananaskis Country leading to the trail closure.
The High Rockies Trail near Blackshale Suspension Bridge is closed until further notice.
Visitors to the backcountry are reminded that although an advisory is in place for just one area, cougars can be encountered at any time, anywhere in the Kananaskis Region.
To avoid a surprise encounter with a cougar make plenty of noise and travel in groups, always be aware of your surroundings, look and listen for signs of cougars and keep your pet on a leash.
If you do encounter a cougar:
- Always leave room for the animal to escape
- Immediately pick up small children.
- Do not run or turn your back on the cougar.
- Back away slowly.
- Make yourself appear as large as possible.
- Maintain eye contact with the cougar.
Report cougar sightings to Kananaskis Country Emergency Services at 403-591-7755.