During the Thursday, February 4 COVID-19 update Dr. Deena Hinshaw warned that AHS has received reports of a phone scam targeting seniors.
"I want to alert Albertans that AHS has received reports of some people over 75 receiving phone calls telling them that they can book their COVID-19 immunization for a fee. This is not a legitimate claim. This is a scam. Due to limited supply coming into the province, we are not yet able to offer the vaccine to all Albertans over the age of 75. When we do, the vaccine will be free of charge. Neither AHS nor any other community provider will ever be asking for payment for the vaccine. If you receive these calls, please hang up immediately and report to the non-emergency line of your local law enforcement."
The COVID-19 numbers were as follows:
- There were 421 news cases in the past 24 hours with a positivity rate of 3.6%.
- Hospitalizations continue to drop and are now at 517 with 93 in ICU.
- There were another 13 deaths reported.
- There are active alerts in 304 Alberta schools or approximately 13%. There are a total of 763 cases in provincial schools.
- There are not 68 cases of the COVID-19 variant with seven cases not linked to travel.
- Over 112,000 Albertans have received immunization with 21,700 fully immunized with two shots.
- Cochrane has dropped to the single digits with nine active cases.
- Rocky View County added two cases for a total of 37.