Dr. Deena Hinshaw provided the COVID-19 update for Monday, February 1.
- To date, more than 106,000 doses of vaccine have been administered with more than 16,200 Albertans having received two doses.
- In 24 hours, 355 new cases have been identified with 7,300 tests performed for a positivity rate of 4.9%.
- There are 556 people in the hospital with 102 in ICU.
- Sadly, another 10 deaths have been reported in the past 24 hours.
- Cochrane currently has 17 active cases.
- Rocky View County has dropped five cases for a total of 50.
- Currently, there are 298 active alerts or outbreaks in Alberta schools which is about 12%. There are 701 total cases in provincial schools.
Dr. Hinshaw is pleased with case numbers in Alberta schools. "Currently, in-school transmission has been detected in 66 schools and, of these, 51 have seen only one new case occur as a result. Encouragingly, the average daily number of new cases in the school-age population continues to fall week over week. Looking at last week, on average, 71 new cases were identified each day among school-aged Albertans. This is down from the 131 daily cases that we saw on average the week before school started in person. So far, returning to school in person has not caused an increased spread in this age group. And, as I said, in fact, cases continue to fall."