Dr. Deena Hinshaw provided the COVID-19 update for today and had the dubious duty of reporting the first continuing care outbreak in Alberta containing variant cases.
"This outbreak was identified late on Friday at Churchill Manor in Edmonton with a single case. Since then 27 staff and residents have tested positive. This includes 19 cases that have been confirmed as positive for the variant. Local public health teams and the operator are taking this outbreak extremely seriously and working closely together to limit spread and protect everyone involved."
- There were 402 cases of the original stain reported in the past 24 hours with a 3.9% positivity rate.
- There are 251 people in the hospital with 48 in ICU.
- Sadly, 12 more deaths have been reported bringing that total to 1,902.
- There were 16 new cases of the UK variant reported bringing that total to 500.
- There are active alerts or outbreaks in 227 schools in the province. That accounts for 9.3% of the schools.
- Cochrane has added five new cases for a total of 17. Rocky View County has also added five for a total of 25.
- Nakoda Emergency Management is reporting no new cases, two recoveries, and 13 active cases.
- To date, 255,283 doses of vaccine have been administered in the province. More than 89,000 Albertans have been fully immunized with two doses of vaccine.