A traffic stop over the weekend has led to an arrest for possession of a prohibited firearm and drug trafficking.
20-year-old Garrett Knight, of Calgary, was stopped at a check stop in Rockyview County this past weekend; this was one of the Many stops conducted in the community.
Knight has been charged with numerous offences including:
- Possession of a controlled substance (methamphetamine) for the purpose of trafficking;
- Carrying a concealed weapon; Unauthorized possession of a firearm;
- Possession of a prohibited weapon in a vehicle; Possession of a weapon contrary to a prohibition order (2 counts); and
- Possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose.
Knight was held for a Judicial Interim Release hearing. He has been released on a $3500 no deposit recognizance, to appear in Cochrane Provincial Court on January 7,
Other results obtained from the Check stops include:
- Two arrests for impaired driving;
- Two 72 hr suspensions issued; and
- One 30 day suspension issued to a graduated licenced driver.
Acting Detachment Commander for the Cochrane RCMP, Sergent Dave Brunner reminds residents to make safe choices when getting behind the wheel this holiday season. He says, "As a part of our commitment to 'safe homes and safe communities', we routinely conduct check stops in and around the Cochrane area. With the holiday season upon us, we have increased our efforts to ensure the roads are safe for all travellers. We would like to thank our community partner Citizens on patrol for participating in the check stops with us, and we would like to encourage everyone to celebrate the holidays safely. Plan ahead, arrange for a designated driver or another safe way to get home after holiday celebrations and enjoy spending time with your loved ones."