Cochrane's own country superstar, Paul Brandt will be heading up a provincial task force against human trafficking. Brandt who founded #NotInMyCity, to bring awareness to the issue, is a long time advocate against human trafficking. Paul Brandt will lead the newly created seven person task force and says they will be getting to work right away.
In a new conference today, Brandt said, "It's an honour to have been asked to serve as Chair for the Alberta Human Trafficking Task Force and I'm pleased to accept this responsibility. The Task Force will begin it's work together, tomorrow morning."
Premier Kenney said, "This task force includes advocates with the skills and experience to do this important work.”
The other members on the task force will include:
- Heather Forsyth – former Solicitor General and Former Minister of Children’s Services
- Dale McFee – Chief of Police, Edmonton Police Services
- Jan Fox – Executive Director with REACH Edmonton
- Douglas Reti – Director, Backwoods Energy, and former RCMP Director General
- Patricia Vargas – Director, Catholic Social Services
- Tyler White – CEO, Siksika Health Services
The task force's mandate will include:
- Help to provide guidance and recommendations on supports for survivors.
- Enhance collaboration with organizations that work with survivors of human trafficking in order to prevent, protect and ensure their safety.
- Enlist experts to identify what actions are needed to bring change.
- Derive recommendations to help government implement the nine-point action plan and lobby other levels of government to take coordinated action.