The Cochrane Piranhas wrapped up their regular swim meet season on August 6 at the Talisman Centre.
Out of 36 Piranha swimmers, 34 achieved personal bests at the swim meet hosted by the Calgary Triton.
Head Coach Breanna Hendriks says whether it be luck/hard work the Piranhas are doing an amazing job.
"I think a bit of everything. They have been working their butts off teh whole summer and a lot of hard training went into it. For the younger swimmers a lot of it is technique so getting in there and not getting disqualified that definitely helps as well. "
Top results for the Piranhas are:
- Ben Barclay 1st in boys 9/10 year old category in 50 meter Backstroke and 100 meter Freestyle. He had two 3rd place finishes in the 100 meter Individual Medley (IM) and the 50 meter Freestyle.
- Kaitlyn Eiserman 2nd in girls 7/8 year old 25 meter Freestyle.
- Stephanie Gross 2nd in 15-17 year old 50 meter Backstroke and 3rd place in the 50 meter Freestyle and 800 meter Freestyle events.
- Jordyn Johnson 3rd in girls 11/12 year old 100 meter Freestyle.
- Zachary Michalski 2nd place in boys15-17 year old 200 meter IM event.
- Sarah Nusl 1st in girls 13/14 year old 50 meter Freestyle and 50 meter Backstroke events with 2nd in the 100 meter Freestyle and 200 meter IM.
- Coach Duncan Swedlo was in the pool at the meet and placed 1st in boys 18 & over 100 meter Freestyle event.
- Eric Swedlo placed 1st in boys 13/14 year old Freestyle, 100 meter Freestyle and 100 meter Breaststroke events.
The Piranhas relay teams had a number of excellent swims as well:
- 1st place In the mixed 17&U 200 meter Medley Relay for the team of Jake Barclay, Kennedy Michalski, Zachary Michalski and Jordyn Johnsen.
- 3rd place In the boys 12& U 200 meter Medley Relay, Bryson Hammer, Max Kruger, Ben Barclay and Levi Lewko. The same team had a 2nd place finish in the 200 meter Freestyle relay.
- 2nd place finish for the girls 12&U 200 meter Medley Relay team made up of Natalie Barreto-Waringer, Bria Michalski, Jacquie Schweiger and Catherine Swedlo.
- 2nd place finish for the girls 100 meter Freestyle Relay team made up of Kaitlyn Eiserman, Charleigh Jenson, Sage Jenson and Savanna Knisley.
- 3rd place finish for the girls 17&U 200 meter Freestyle with Stephanie Gross Kennedy Michalski, Jordyn Johnsen and Sarah Nusl swimming.
- 1st place In the open 200 meter medley relay category Sarah Nusl, Eric Swedlo, Stephanie Gross and Duncan Swedlo.
You will find a full list of results here.
Hendriks predicts the Piranhas will do well at Regional's.
"I think we'll do great, I think personally the kids will do really well. The older kids will be getting a bit more rest so they will be able to finish their races even stronger than at this past swim meet."
The Piranhas glide into Region E Regional's August 13/14 at the Talisman Centre, in hopes to secure a spot at the Provincial Championships in Edmonton on August 19-21.