Update: Watch has ended for the Cochrane area.
Environment Canada meteorologists are currently tracking a severe thunderstorm that is capable of producing heavy rain, extreme wind gusts and large hail.
The system will continue to develop over southern Alberta this evening and may become severe.
Environment Canada recommends that you take cover immediately if threatening weather approaches. Heavy downpours are known to cause flash floods and water pooling on the roads, leading to poor and potentially dangerous driving conditions.
Environment Canada warns that the large hail and heavy winds forecasted have the potential to damage property and cause injury.
Meteorologists are reminding the public of the dangers associated with lightning and urge the public to seek indoor shelter if thunder sounds.
Severe thunderstorm watch is in effect for:
- Rocky View Co. near Cochrane
- Rocky View Co. near Airdrie and Crossfield
- Rocky View Co. near Bottrel and Madden
- Mountain View Co. near Carstairs and Stirlingville
- Mountain View Co. near Cremona and Water Valley
- Mountain View Co. near Olds and Didsbury
- Mountain View Co. near Sundre