Prior to the COVID 19 numbers update for Monday, June 15, Health Minister Shandro announced that the State of Public Health Emergency will lapse in Alberta. He said, "We have come a long way since the state of emergency was was declared on March 15. I know that past few months have been challenging for all Albertans, families, and communities. We faced an enormous test and our province passed with flying colours." He continued to say, "We have come a long way, but the fight against COVID is not yet over."
Shandro also reported that more than nine million masks have been distributed through drive thru restaurants in just one week.
Dr Deena Hinshaw provided the COVID 19 numbers update:
- 3462 tests performed in the past 24 hours
- 20 new cases
- 440 active cases in the province
- 31 people are in hospital with 7 in ICU
- one death has been reported in the past 24 hours
- 151 is the total death count for the province
- 343,000 tests have been performed in total for the province
Dr Hinshaw commended Albertan's for practicing AHS health protocols over the first weekend of the phase to re-launch. While pleased with results so far, Hinshaw said this is not over and we must remain vigilant. "This is like a marathon and we are not yet near the end. So, let's pace ourselves, encourage each other, and cheer each other on with face masks in place."