RCMP are reminding motorists to keep it safe on the roads, especially when it comes to intersections in and outside of Cochrane.
· Slow down when you come to an intersection. Come to a full stop and be aware of all traffic before you proceed.
· Obey traffic signs and signals. Come to a full stop when you come to a stop sign or red light.
· Remember the Right of Way rule at four-way stops. You must yield to the vehicle on your right.
· Make sure to activate your turn signal before every turn. Ensure it is safe to turn before doing so.
· Pedestrians have the right of way in all marked or unmarked crosswalks.
RCMP say that it’s not just the driver that has to be aware of the rules of the intersections but pedestrians as well.
· Never jaywalk. Only cross when you have fully observed the traffic and it is safe to cross.
· Always use crosswalks and pedestrian-activated signals when available.
· Pay attention. Keep your eyes off of your phone and other devices. Take off headphones and always be aware of the traffic when crossing.
Supt. Rick Gardner, Alberta Sheriffs says you should always be aware of everything happening at an intersection. “You should always be prepared for the unexpected at intersections: pay attention to pedestrians, changing lights, slippery road conditions, and other drivers before proceeding through an intersection,”.
The Alberta RCMP and Alberta Sheriffs will continue to work with other law enforcement and safety partners to ensure Albertans make the right decisions while on the road.