The Cochrane Piranhas kicked off their busy month this past weekend.
Their fourth meet was held in Didsbury on Saturday (July 7) and is the first of four meets back to back. Thirty-seven Piranhas took part and although the total number of overall competitors from Region E was down slightly, our club had great results.
Head Coach, Breanna Hendriks says she was impressed with all the swimmers' efforts and saw lots of best times despite working really hard over the past couple weeks. With back-to-back meets coming up, the coaches have to be careful with their training regimen, shares Hendricks. "We really have to be smart with how we plan things during the week because there's only so many workouts to work on specific skills, especially with the red bellies. It takes a lot of time for them to develop those skills whereas the gold kids have their basic skills down; so we have to plan it really well and work together as a team."
With school out, the Piranhas training schedule became more intense at the tail end of last week. "The gold kids are swimming doubles on Wednesday and then every day of the week from there; so it's a lot of training, a lot of time in the water and they are working really hard to improve their skills."
Hendriks doesn't have any specific goals for this weekend but shares many swimmers are beginning to challenge themselves personally. "I have some kids in silver and even my younger gold kids who are doing the 800 Freestyle this weekend for the first time ever this weekend. It's a big event for them and they're a little nervous but I am sure they will do a great job of it."
Some top results from the Didsbury meet are listed below and the full list can be found HERE.
- ·Natalie Barreto-Waringer swam to 3rd place finishes in the girls 13&14-year-old 100 m Butterfly and the 50 m Backstroke
- ·Cadence Bashow was 1st in girls 6&U 25 m Flutter, 2nd in 50 m Backstroke
- ·Reid Boukall was 2nd in boys 7&8-year-old 25 m Backstroke and 3rd in 25 m Fly
- ·Rylan Carnegie had an outstanding day with 1st place finishes in the 25 m Backstroke, 25 m Flutter, 25 m Freestyle, 50 m Backstroke and 2nd in the 50 m Freestyle
- ·Sam Cheverie saw a 2nd place finish in the boys 6&U 25 m Backstroke, 50 m Backstroke and 3rd in 25 m Flutter and 25 m Freestyle
- ·Jacob Corcoran had a 1st place finish in the boys 7&8-year-old 25 m Backstroke and 25 m Freestyle and 2nd in the 50 m Freestyle
- ·Kaitlyn Eiserman had a 1st place finish in the girls 9&10-year-old 100 m Freestyle, 2nd in the 50 m Butterfly and 3rd in the 25 m Butterfly as well as the 50 m Freestyle
- ·Quinn Fitzsimmons had a 3rd place finish in the boys 11&12-year-old 200 m Individual Medley
- ·Jamie Harris had a 1st place finish in the girls 15-17-year-old 100 m Backstroke, 100 m Butterfly and 2nd in both the 50 m Freestyle and the 100 m IM
- ·Oliver Johnson had a 3rd place finish in the boys 9&10-year-old 100 m Freestyle
- ·Tegan Lester-Olivier had a 2nd place finish in the girls 9&10-year-old 100 m Freestyle
- ·Travis Lester-Olivier had a 1st place finish in the boys 9&10-year-old 100 m Freestyle
- ·Troy Lester-Olivier had a 3rd place finish in the boys 13&14-year-old 100 m Butterfly
- ·Levi Lewko swam to a 2nd place finish in the boys 13&14-year-old 100 m Backstroke and 3rd in the 50 m Backstroke
- ·Jade Macosky had a 1st place finish in the girls 15-17-year-old 50 m Backstroke, 2nd in the 50 m Butterfly, and 3rd place in both the 100 m IM and the 100 m Butterfly
- ·Bria Michalski had a 2nd place finish in the girls 13&14-year-old 100 m Breaststroke and 200 m IM
- ·Grace Pawliuk had a 2nd place finish in the girls 7&8-year-old 50 m Backstroke
- ·Josie Powers had a 2nd place finish in the girls 11&12-year-old 100 m Breast
- ·Aaron Swedlo placed 3rd in the boys 14&U 800 m Freestyle
- ·Catherine Swedlo placed 2nd in the girls 13&14 year old 50 m Freestyle, 2nd in the 50 m Back and 3rd in the 50 m Butterfly
Relay teams' placements:
- ·In the girls12&U 200 m Medley Relay the team of Madison Nugent (Backstroke), Teagan Lester-Olivier (Breast), Kaitlyn Eiserman (Butterfly) and Quinn Cheverie (Freestyle) came in 2nd place
- ·In the girls 14&U 200 m Medley Relay the team of Anjali Simms (Backstroke), Natalie Barreto-Waringer (Breast), Madyson Cheverie (Butterfly) and Josie Powers (Freestyle) came in 1st place
- ·The team of Eli Fitzsimmons (Backstroke), Owen Johnson (Breast), Travis Lester-Olvier (Butterfly) and Kailuam Hill van Hout (Freestyle) placed 3rd in the boys 10&U 100 m Medley Relay
- ·The team of Levi Lewko (Backstroke), Troy Lester-Olivier(Breast), Quinn Fitzsimmons (Butterfly) and Aaron Swedlo (Freestyle) came in 2nd in the boys 14&U 200 m Medley Relay
The Piranhas have a busy schedule and head to the Calgary Tritons Invitational this Saturday (July 14) followed by the Calgary Swordfish meet on July 20 and 21st, both in Calgary.