There's not much time left for residents to provide town council with their views on what should be the strategic priorities for Cochrane. The online survey is wrapping up tomorrow, Sunday, Mar. 11.
Here's the draft list of council priorities that's broken into four categories. In a radical departure from past practises, council is coming to the community and asking for their input.
- Establish committees and task forces for key community issues and projects (e.g. Smart Cities, transit)
Community Development and Planning:
- Review and Update Municipal Development Plan
- Review and update Land-Use Bylaw
- Prioritize commercial and industrial development whole broadening residential density options
- Develop transit strategy options for decision in 2018
- Improve traffic flows throughout Cochrane
- Design and construct Bow River Bridge and connecting road network
- Design Centre Ave. intersection and approaches to the railway to accommodate four lanes
- Advocate for Hwy. 1A improvements between Gleneagles Dr. and the new interchange at Hwy. 22 and Hwy. 1A, including the intersection of Centre and 5th Ave.
- Improve local and regional pathway network
- Advocate for improved EMS coverage and 24-hour care at Cochrane Community Centre
- Investigate and execute water licensing strategy to accommodate full build-out in town, and upgrade wastewater and water infrastructure
- Design and build a newly integrated police detachment
- Study design for 5th Ave. site (including Lions Rodeo Grounds and considering a variety of users, seniors, youth, etc.)
- Study design for 1-acre site east of the library
- study design for former Esso bulk station site
- Focus on achieving organizational efficiencies and an effective asset management system (e.g. infrastructure assessment and funding strategy)
For each category, those completing the survey are asked to rank the action. Space is also left for suggestions not included. Each category, it is asked if its the right direction for the town and if Cochrane is building the community you want.
Find more details here.