With the construction season drawing to a close, the town has provided an update on the progress made on several significant capital projects to enhance the community's infrastructure.
Of particular note are some overnight closures of Hwy. 1A tonight (Oct. 12). Here's the summary provided by the town.
- The westbound lane on Hwy. 1A will undergo an overnight closure, between 9 p.m. Oct. 12 and 5 a.m. Oct. 13, for the construction of the new bridge over Big Hill Creek related to the interchange project.
- During this time, there will also be a closure of the shoulder along Hwy. 1A near the Gleneagles overpass for the staging of the bridge girders.
- Alternating traffic will be controlled by flaggers during the closure period. Motorists are urged to follow instructions from construction personnel and drive with caution.
Other road closures and detours:
- Later this week, 2nd St. will be closed at 1st. Ave.
- Drivers are advised to utilize the Ross Ave. detour or 5th Ave to access westbound Hwy. 1A.
- For those seeking access to the Historic Downtown from westbound Hwy. 1A, exclusive routes via 3rd Ave. or 5th Ave. are available.
- Centre Ave. is open to local traffic only, with no access to the East End or Historic Downtown. These closures are necessary for storm main installation up to William Street.
Here's an update on the rest of the major projects.
Centre Ave. & 1st. St.:
- 1st St. and the rail crossing underwent paving on Oct. 7, reopening to the public on Sunday.
- Presently, the intersection functions as a 4-way stop while awaiting the arrival of a new signal light pole from the manufacturer.
- Additional paving is scheduled for Thursday, ensuring continued road access under flagger control.
- Work continues on Centre Ave. between 1st St. and William St., including essential water service connections, storm main construction, and overhead utility burial.
Hwy. 22 to Riverview Syphon:
Commencing Oct. 9 to 13, construction on an additional syphon pipe gets underway. Upon completion, Cochrane's wastewater management and transfer capacity will double.
- Construction will necessitate pedestrian pathway detours, partial parking lot closures at Riverfront Park and Zero Gravity Skate Park, and a partial closure of Cochrane's Disc Golf Course in Riverfront Park.
- Closures and limitations are implemented for safety, and residents are encouraged to adhere to signage and detours for park access.
The Highway 1A roadway improvements have been completed and are scheduled to be celebrated by town and provincial officials this Friday afternoon.
Some finishing touches continue, including the completion of the retaining wall along the new access route to Cochrane Heights and the sidewalk along the south side of Hwy 1A between 2nd Ave. and 5th Ave.
In response to Canada's Online News Act and Meta (Facebook and Instagram) removing access to local news from their platforms, CochraneNow encourages you to get your news directly from your trusted source by bookmarking this page and downloading the CochraneNow app.