If you plan on hiking in K-Country over the Canada Day long weekend, be bear aware.
There are currently a couple of trails already closed due to bear activity.
The Rawson Lake Trail and Sarrail Ridge Route was closed on June 29 because of a grizzly bear frequenting the area and approaching hikers.
It's in the Peter Lougheed Provincial Park area.
And there's also been numerous black bears spotted at the Canmore Nordic Centre Provincial Park resulting in the closure on June 29th until further notice.
Alberta Parks lists some tips on how to be more bear aware:
To avoid a surprise encounter with a bear:
- Make plenty of noise and travel in groups.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Look and listen for bears and their signs.
- Keep your pet on a leash.
- Carry bear spray. Make sure it’s easily accessible, and know how to use bear spray.
- Learn more about bear safety on our webpage or at WildSmart.
If you do encounter a bear, you're asked to call 403-591-7755.