There was a lineup at the advance vote for the provincial election this morning at the Frank Wills Memorial Hall, 405 1 St. E. in Cochrane.
Within minutes, dozens of voters had filed into the hall, and more will do the same between now and Saturday.
The advance polling station will be open daily from 9 a.m. to 8 p,m. until Saturday.
Elsewhere in the Airdrie-Cochrane riding, you can vote at the Bearspaw Lions Club Hall and the Living Springs Christian Fellowship in Airdrie.
Eligible voters can vote at any advance poll in the province but come election day, May 29, they must vote at their assigned voting location.
Electors that cannot vote at an Advance or Election Day location can also vote by mail or at their local returning office.
You may vote at the returning office for your electoral division or by mail should voting vote at advance polls on election day is not viable for the following reasons:
- Physically disabled,
- Away from their electoral division,
- An inmate,
- An election officer, candidate, official agent or scrutineer,
- Living in a remote area, as defined in the Election Act, or
- Displaced by emergency or disaster, such as fire or flood.
Voting in the Returning Office is by Special Ballot and electors choosing this voting option will need to sign a declaration to declare their reason for voting by Special Ballot and provide identification to prove their name and address.
To vote, you must prove your identity and current address.
To do this, you may:
- Provide one piece of Government-issued photo ID, including your full name, current address, and photo
- Provide two pieces of ID, both containing your full name, and one showing your current physical address
- Have another registered elector in your voting area vouch for you
- Have an authorized signatory complete an attestation form
To vote, you must be a Canadian citizen, 18 years of age or older, and a resident of Alberta.
By 9:30 a.m., an estimated 6,913 Albertans had voted.
Full details from Elections Alberta are available here.
Seeking the Airdrie-Cochrane seat in the Legislative Assembly are incumbent Peter Guthrie, UCP; Michael Andrusco, Solidarity Movement of Alberta; Shaun Fluker, Alberta NDP; Michelle Overwater Giles, Green Party of Alberta; and Ron Voss, Wildrose Loyalty Coalition.
A virtual candidates forum is being hosted this Wednesday at 1 p.m. by the Cochrane and District Chamber of Commerce. You can view and participate in the forum by clicking here.