The Cochrane Piranhas had another great meet Saturday, July 16 at the U of C.
The meet hosted by the Calgary Swordfish Club saw 8 teams attend with 339 swimmers compete. There were 36 Cochrane Piranhas that made an incredible splash.
Head Coach Breanna Hendriks says she was pleased with results considering the swimmers have been increasing distance.
"We did really good considering we are under a lot of work right now, the kids are really tired. But they're doing a great job, it turned out pretty good."
This was the first meet for the Piranhas since June, and she says the break was beneficial.
"I think it was actually nice to have that really good break because coming up here we had the past weekend, this coming weekend, then we have a break, and then we have three weekends after that we have swim meets. I think it is really important that they are getting this break off during the weekends to get ready for this long few weeks of racing ahead of us."
The results of the meet are as follows:
- Ben Barclay placed 2nd in the boys 9/10 year old 200 meter Freestyle.
- Kaitlyn Eiserman placed 2nd in the girls 7/8 year old 50 meter Backstroke and 2nd in 25 meter Butterfly events.
- Nicole Gross placed 3rd in girls 13/14 year old 100 meter Backstroke.
- Stephanie Gross placed 1st in girls 15-17 year old 50 meter Backstroke; 2nd in 200 meter Freestyle; 2nd in 100 meter Backstroke and 3rd in 50 meter Butterfly.
- Max Kruger placed 3rd in the boys 11/12 year old 100 meter Individual Medley (IM) event.
- Zachary Michalski placed 1st in the boys 15-17 year old 200 meter Freestyle; 2nd in 800 Freestyle; 2nd in 100 meter IM and 3rd in 50 meter Backstroke.
- Sarah Nusl placed 1st in the girls 13/14 year old 50 meter Freestyle and 100 meter Backstroke events along with a 2nd place finish in the 200 meter Freestyle.
- Connor Swedlo placed 1st in the boys 15-17 year old 50 meter Backstroke; 2nd in 200 meter Freestyle and 3rd in 100 meter Freestyle.
The relay teams had a strong showing with:
- The girls 12&U team with Aggie Baker, Danica Marks,Ella Kruger, and Josie Powers placed 3rd in the girls 200 meter Medley Relay.
- A boys/girls mixed team in the 8&U category with Rylee Bashow, Charleigh Jenson, Kade Petersen, and Eli Fitzsimmons placed 2nd in the 100 meter Medley Relay
- A boys/girls mixed team in the team 14&U category for 200 meter medley relay with Connor Swedlo, Natalie Barreto-Waringer, Max Kruger, and Jake Barclay swam to a 3rd place finish.
- In the 17&U mixed 200 meter medley relay Stephanie Gross, Zachary Michalski, Sarah Nusl, and Connor Swedlo placed 2nd.
- In Mixed 8&U 100 meter Freestyle Ryle Bashow, Eli Fitzsimmons, Kade Peterson, and Charleigh Jenson placed 1st.
- In Mixed 8&U 100 meter Freestyle Savanna Knisley, Isaac Thibodeau, Sebastian Marks and Sage Jenson placed 2nd. The same team took 1st place in the 100 meter Medley Relay.
- In the Mixed 10&U 100 meter Freestyle Kaitlyn Eiserman, Sydney Carnegie, Quinn Fitzsimmons, and Keegan Lewko placed 3rd.
- In a Mixed 12&U 200 meter Medley Relay Bryson Hamer, Bria Michalski, Darci Petersen, and Levi Lewko placed 2nd. The same team placed 3rd in the 200 meter Freestyle relay.
- In the Mixed 17&U category for the 200 meter Freestyle Zachary Michalski, Stephanie Gross, Sarah Nusl, and Connor Swedlo placed 2nd.
- Mixed Open Team (18&over category) saw Coach Duncan Swedlo jump into the pool with younger brother Aaron Swedlo, Mackenzie Banfield, and Sydney Carnegie for the 200 meter Medley Relay where they placed 2nd. Due to an illness one of the teammates was unable to swim with the group in the 10&U category that day so the team changed up to the 18& over category and were able to swim with Coach Duncan. The team did great and had a lot of fun!
There will be little reprieve for the Piranhas who will only get in a few days of practice before the Canmore Invitational meet July 22 and 23. Hendriks adds this time of year is crazy as the swimmers have back to back meets as well as Regionals and Provincials sneaking up.